Cllr Glen Sanderson has been elected as the new leader of Northumberland County Council. He was elected by a majority of councillors at a meeting of the full council today (23rd September).
Glen announced a number of changes to the council’s cabinet who will support him in the role:
- Richard Dodd will become the Deputy Leader of Northumberland County Council.
- Veronica Jones will take up a role in the Cabinet with responsibility for Adult Wellbeing.
- Jeff Watson who previously managed that area of responsibility will now take up the role of portfolio holder for Healthy Lives which covers arts, leisure and culture including the council’s role in managing Active Northumberland.
- The tourism portfolio will now be managed by Richard Wearmouth as part of the council’s economic priorities for the county.
- A position of Equality and Diversity Champion has been introduced, a role which will be filled by Councillor Wendy Pattison who will also sit in Cabinet.
- The responsibility for housing, education and corporate services remains unchanged.
Glen described his election by full council as ‘a great honour’. He said:
“Every county councillor in this meeting is just a director of this multi-million pound company as I am.
“I’m hoping that together, we can can try to concentrate on positivity and less on negativity - more time on getting behind our staff, and each and every one of our residents, and more relevant discussion between us, because any successful business does have to have good communication.”